Purpose of the flight and payload description
The ALIOS experience consisted of a series of experiments mainly in the domain of biology. ALIOS 84 experiments were as follows:
- CYTOS. Biological research groups. Resistance of bacteria to antibiotics (complementary to that carried out on board Salyut 7).
- GRANOS. Biological research groups. Somatic and genetic effects of cosmic radiation on young tobacco plants.
- GEOTROPISM. Faculty of Sciences Pierre and Marie Curie, Paris, and others. Effects of cosmic radiation on lentil roots (calibration for experience aboard the American space shuttle).
Also were included two technological experiments:
- MAGNETIC FIELD. Institute of Physics of the Globe, Paris. Measurement of the Earth's magnetic field.
- ETE. Experiment by INTA-Conie. Experience of aeronomy for the measurement of the stratospheric temperature.
- PAOLA. Technological experiment by CNES to take up-looking views of the balloon in flight
Details of the balloon flight
Balloon launched on: 6/26/1984 at 6:46 local
Launch site: Base di Lancio Luigi Broglio, Trapani, Sicily, Italy
Balloon launched by: Agenzia Spaziale Italiana (ASI) / Centre National d'Etudes Spatiales (CNES)
Balloon manufacturer/size/composition: Zero Pressure Balloon 330.000 m3
End of flight (L for landing time, W for last contact, otherwise termination time): 6/27/1984
Balloon flight duration (F: time at float only, otherwise total flight time in d:days / h:hours or m:minutes - ): 19 h 20 m
Landing site: In Real de la Jara, 60 km NE of Huelva, Spain
Campaign: ODISSEA 84