Purpose of the flight and payload description
The NAUSICAA gondola consisted of a series of experiments in the domain of biology and technology, as follows:
- Paramecios. Biological research groups. Effects of cosmic radiation on paramecia cultures.
- Granos. Biological research groups. Somatic and genetic effects of cosmic radiation on sand grains and tobacco plants.
- Drosophila. Biological research groups. Genetic effects of cosmic radiation on drosophila melanogaster
- Artemia. Biological research groups. Biological effects of cosmic radiation on the egg of Artemia Salina (brine shrimp).
- Ozono. Experiment by CNRS Service of Aeronomy to measure the Ozone in the high atmosphere.
- Techno. Technological test in flight by CNES of an automatic pilot system and PCM telemetry system
Details of the balloon flight
Balloon launched on: 8/28/1979 at 2:35 utc
Launch site: Base di Lancio Luigi Broglio, Trapani, Sicily, Italy
Balloon launched by: Agenzia Spaziale Italiana (ASI) / Centre National d'Etudes Spatiales (CNES)
Balloon manufacturer/size/composition: Zero Pressure Balloon 350.000 m3
End of flight (L for landing time, W for last contact, otherwise termination time): 8/29/1979
Balloon flight duration (F: time at float only, otherwise total flight time in d:days / h:hours or m:minutes - ): 27 h 5 m
Landing site: In Hornachuelos, Cordoba, Spain
Campaign: ODISSEA 79
Payload weight: 535 kg
Overall weight: 785 kg