Purpose of the flight and payload description
The apparatus, uses magnetic-core digital spark chambers to determine the trajectories of charged particles through the instrument, before and after they pass the gap of a permanent magnet. The direction and magnitude of the magnetic deflection provides the sign and rigidity of each particle traversing the detector. The spark chambers are triggered by a counter telescope consisting of a directional gas Cerenkov counter and two plastic scintillation counters. In addition, two anti-coincidence scintillation counters are used to veto events in which a particle fails to pass through the magnet gap.
Details of the balloon flight
Balloon launched on: 8/3/1974 at 20:30 cst
Launch site: Fort Churchill Airport, Manitoba, Canada
Balloon launched by: Raven Industries Inc.
Balloon manufacturer/size/composition: Zero Pressure Balloon Winzen 50.300.000 cuft (Natural Shape - 0.5 mil. Stratofilm + 2 0.7 mil. Caps)
End of flight (L for landing time, W for last contact, otherwise termination time): 8/4/1974 at ~ 12:00 cst
Balloon flight duration (F: time at float only, otherwise total flight time in d:days / h:hours or m:minutes - ): 16 h 20 m
Landing site: In the Athabasca River area, Alberta Canada
Campaign: SKYHOOK CHURCHILL 74
Payload weight: 800 lbs
- Cosmic ray positron and negatron spectra between 20 and 800 MeV measured in 1974 NASA report N75-28000, June 1975
- Cosmic-ray positron and negatron spectra between 20 and 800 MeV measured in 1974 Astrophysical Journal, vol. 204, Mar. 15, 1976, pt. 1, p. 927-933
- Largest balloon launched by ONR Naval Research Reviews, November 1974, Page 13
- Stratofilm balloon flight record - in Flight Report Issue 1, 1975 - Winzen Research Inc. (StratoCat's private collection)
- Progress in Scientific Balloon Technology in European Programmes on Sounding-Rocket and Balloon Research in the Auroral Zone, May 1976, p. 283
If you consider that this website is interesting or useful, you can help to keep it running with just the equivalent of the price of a cup of coffee. Click on the button on the right for more information.